Wednesday, April 21, 2010

THE HONOR FOR MY FATHER

It is a Filipino tradition to be respectful especially to the women and the elders; to respect our parents, with the respect for our fathers as above anyone else in the family.  It is our culture to look up to our  fathers as the head of the family, as the guardian and protector, as the bread winner, as the adviser and in most cases as role models whose ways, characters and good deeds their children and grandchildren  should follow.  Today, like in the early days, the word of  the father is law to the family.  Since time immemorial, it is an unwritten law for us Filipinos to carry the family name of our fathers.  In the present time, still the name and family name and the good deeds of our fathers puts more weight when it comes to recognition and acceptance in the community. It has been a tried and tested method, to gain instant recognition, in many family, clan and community gatherings in the provinces to introduce oneself, say: I am  John. I am the eldest son of  Juan dela Cruz. (It holds true even in the present day political exercises in our country.)   

To personally take good care of our parents in their waning years is one of the ways to show our love, respect and gratitude for them.  To continue the good deeds of our fathers is one way of preserving their name and; doing more good deeds is one way of honoring them.

For me to show my love, respect and gratitude - (for rearing me up to what I am now and for entrusting me his name and family name), and to preserve the name of my father, I named my two sons in his honor. My father is Leonardo Robles, Sr., I am Leonardo Robles, Jr., my two sons are named: Leonardo Robles, III and Leonardo Robles, IV. 
(P.S.  My two sons had entered into a gentleman's agreement that when they get married someday and who ever had a baby boy first, the baby will be named as: Leonardo Robles, V.)

No comments:

Post a Comment